Have A Question About Your Pomeranian and can't find your answer below?
Email: [email protected]
Useful phone number: - Kennel Club 0844 4633 980
- Is a Pomeranian the best breed for me?
If you are looking for a smaller dog, that is outgoing, friendly, good with children, playful, and not needing too much exercise, then a Pomeranian is the breed for you!
- Do male dogs or female dogs make better pets?
Both make good pets, but a bitch will moult a lot more than a dog.
- I just want a Pom for a pet, not for showing or breeding, do I need the KC papers?
It is always wiser to have KC papers, as even if you only want a pet, you should still want a good one. Without the sire and dams papers there is a chance that the puppy is not pedigree.
- Should I buy A Pomeranian puppy from a pet shop?
Never ever buy from a pet shop, no good breeder will sell their puppies to a pet shop, always buy from a breeder.
- How do I find a good Pomeranian breeder?
From the Kennel Club, dog shows, and dog papers, eg Our Dogs.
- How do I pick the best Pomeranian puppy from a litter?
Do your homework! Read the standard, go to Pomeranian club shows, see who is winning, and ask to go on their waiting list. A good Pom is worth waiting for.
- How do I find Pomeranian dogs for adoption?
Again, the kennel club can give you a list, some breeders will also have older dogs looking to rehome. There are also several kennels that now have rescue Pomeranians in need of a good home.
- How do I housetrain my Pomeranian?
If you go to a good breeder then your puppy will already be paper trained, and so much easier to house-break, dogs kept in unclean kennels as puppies, will be much harder to get clean.
- What's the best dog food for Pomeranians?
Your dog / puppy should come with a diet sheet and some suitable food to get you started. It all depends on what your Pom requires.
- Which vaccinations does my Pom need and when?
Most vets will vaccinate at 8 weeks and 12 weeks. The vet will advise you on which vaccinations to have.
- What are the pros and cons of spaying and neutering my Pomeranian?
Spaying will stop your bitch from moulting so much, but both dog and bitch can gain weight, and the coat can become soft.
- Are poms loving and affectionate?
They are very loving loyal dogs, who will love you and all your family.
- Do they liked to be cuddled?
Yes, they are always happy to be loved. The breed was originally sold as lap dogs (companion dogs) which certainly shines through their personality as they are your little shadow.
- Are they to delicate to hold?
Some of the very tiny poms can be delicate, so not suitable for young children, but a normal four/five-pound pom is quite sturdy.
- Are health problems common with the Pom breed?
As with all the toy breeds, the knees can cause a problem, so always go to a good breeder.
- Can they sit on your laps?
Yes, they make good lap dogs, although they love a walk too.
- Are they suitable for a house with a large family?
Yes, but if there are very young children then go for a slightly bigger pom.
If they are introduced slowly, there are normally no worries.
- Are they good with noisy teenagers?
Poms will not worry about noise, but kids will have to watch were they put their feet, and make sure that they close doors etc.
Yes, very much.
- How many times a day should they be fed?
Again, you should have a diet sheet, but as a rule, four meals at 8 weeks, 3 at twelve, then two from six months.
- How many teeth does a Pomeranian have?
They have a normal dog bite. This is roughly 42 teeth in total.
Pom is another word for Pomeranian. The "Pom" comes from Pomerania in Germany, and was a bigger dog, which was bred to bark to warn of danger and be companions to their owners.
- How often should they be bathed?
As a puppy about once a month, as an adult about six times a year, you can just spray and powder in between so they are fresh and aren’t matted.
- How often should they be Trimmed?
This will depend on their coat, normally about every six to eight weeks.
- How often should their nails be clipped?
Every six to eight weeks, unless walked on a very hard surface.
- How should I secure a pom in my car for travel?
In a cage or dog seat belt with an appropriate collar/harness.
- Is it safe to have my Pom microchipped?
Yes, and always a good idea, if you dog is lost or stolen you will have a better chance of getting them back. It is now illegal not to have your dog microchipped, so it is very important to do so. You MUST also make sure the details are transferred into the owner’s name!
- My pom keeps barking, what can I do?
Start as you mean to go on, stop them from a puppy, use a verbal command, or a small water pistol will work.
- What colours should a pom be?
Acceptable colours include: Orange, Orange Sable, Cream, Wolfsable, Black, White, Chocolate and Parti-colours.
Not acceptable colours include: Black and Tan, Merle and mismarked parti-colours. WHOLE COLOURS SHOULD NOT HAVE WHITE MARKINGS.